Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Simple Marian Devotions #2

At our local Family Dollar I can buy Catholic, glass jar candles for a couple of dollars. I have one with a picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe on it. The prayer reads, Merciful Virgin Mary of Guadalupe, show clemency, love and compassion to those who love you and search for your protection. May the sweet fragrance of roses reach your divine son, our Lord Jesus Christ, that he may hear our prayers. Wipe our tears and give us comfort and assistance. (concentrate on your desires). Amen. 



As a simple devotion, you can light the candle and say the prayer, adding your special needs and petitions. I have the candle burning right beside me as I write this. I am also listening to "An English Ladymass" on CD, which contains 13th- and 14th-century chant and polyphony in honor of the Virgin Mary. The lyrics are in Latin, so I don't understand them, but the women's voices are glorious, and the music is calming. I borrowed the CD from my library system and have others on the way. You can play music such as this and meditate upon the love and intercession of our heavenly Mother while making dinner, folding laundry, writing in your journal, or practicing yoga.

Today I went for a walk in the woods with my 8-year-old daughter. Luckily I had my Rosary in my purse, and I recalled how John Paul II had a regular practice of walking in nature while praying the Rosary. I got through most of the Luminous Mysteries before we had to go. There is something about a moving meditation that is especially gratifying.


 Pope John Paul II

I usually pray for a particular intention at the start of my Rosary recitations. Sharing our smallest worries and our deepest needs and sorrows, as well as our joys, hopes, and dreams, truly honors our Holy Queen. And we can trust that she will present them as the most fragrant and lovely bouquet of roses to her divine Son. In honoring her, we honor our Lord.

5 comments:

  1. I would love to get a small group of ladies to pray the rosary and maybe discuss our faith. I find your writings encouraging when I face difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Alicia! I love the idea of a prayer group and have entertained that thought myself. Let's ask around and see who is interested. There is a woman at RCIA, one of the teachers, who is very devoted to Mary. We should ask Jamie, of course! I know a writer in California whose book I recently read about her journey back to the Catholic Church. She belongs to a women's group called "Pray and Bitch".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes we shall have to ask her at class tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alicia, just saw your comment! I talked to Jamie and she is interested in the prayer group. I am reading a book by Elizabeth A. Johnson called Truly Our Sister: A Theology of Mary in the Communion of the Saints. Maybe we could make this a "book club" and use it to discuss our faith.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really the rosary gives peace to our soul, quite our mind, our body receives graces from(change of heart/conversion). our mind becomes receptive to spiritual reflection

    ReplyDelete